Saturday, April 14, 2012

Scrapping

Some you are aware that I am a scrapbook-er.  Thanks to my friend Jill, I started seriously scrapping about five years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter.  I now have four books I work on regularly: Daughter Book, Son Book, Travel Book, and Home/Holiday Book.  I really enjoy this craft because I can accomplish a goal in a relatively sort amount of time.  Some crafts take days or weeks to complete and I just don't have the attention span to follow through with these.  Scrap-booking, like cooking/baking, I can do in one sitting and be done with a project/page/meal.  Since we have been living in this country home, I have not scrapped at all.  After moving all my materials, things were disordered and generally a mess.  I needed  to get organized. 

When my sister moved into her first apartment after living in the dorms during college, she bought a computer cabinet that would serve as her desk.  The cabinet stands about six feet tall and looks much like an armoire.  It has been standing in the living room of this house for several years.  While I was on Pinterest, I saw someone had turned a TV armoire into a closeable scrap-booking center. Here is the link and picture for what inspired me:

So Thursday night after putting the kids to bed I set to work.  I transformed my sister's old computer cabinet into a scrap-booking center.  I am very pleased with the results. 
Closed cabinet

Open cabinet
I know mine isn't nearly as snazzy as the Pinterest example but now I have everything in an assigned place.  Over time, my goal is to upgrade/coordinate containers.  For now, this was a cost-free endeavor.  For paper storage, I did go to three different stores looking for plastic paper holders but found none.  All I could find was wood build-it-yourself cabinet/cubes.  Luckily, I saw some plastic stack-able trays at my mom's store and she wasn't using them.  Now I have organized paper storage!  My daughter helped me sort it into warm tones, cool tones, and neutrals.  One feature I love about the actual cabinet is the foldout table.  It closes by folding up and the cutting mat stays right on top of it.  The TV armoire didn't have a table so I feel lucky.  Next to it there is also a pull out keyboard tray that I can use for additional work space.  Under the table is a drawer with drawing supplies and a shelf for storing my scrapbooks.  The baskets are sticker storage, arranged by categories.  One of the top shelves holds my portable paper storage and the other shelf  allowed for storage of the kids painting materials.  Now I don't have to worry about unapproved painting jobs all over the house.

I was so inspired, yesterday I developed and ordered $25 worth of pictures for a total of 10 pages I need to finish.  My usual pattern is that I do very little scrapping during the school year and then hammer out a whole bunch of pages over the summer.   However, since I was so inspired by this organization idea, I am hoping to get a pretty good jump start on my pages. My daughter already helped complete one page for her 4th birthday party.  Yeah!!

1 comment:

  1. I can just see you two girls sorting materials by color. Bet Libby was a great helper. You shame me with your talent. I haven't worked on a hobby in years, yet here I am with all this time to spare in my little apartment. You have, however, inspired me to get my photographs and books from my old place and start sorting them by year and subject so that I can set them to albums. Thank you for the inspiration little one. You will take photos of your pages for me won't you please?

    ReplyDelete